|16th March 2020|
I want to keep you informed of how we are managing the ongoing coronavirus issue. As you will be fully aware, it is a rapidly changing and evolving situation but, as far as possible, we are trying to plan for any eventuality including school closure. In all of this we are aiming to be guided by the Department of Education and the Public Health Agency. Students must continue to be focussed on their day-to-day learning especially the Senior students for the forthcoming examinations but we are always mindful of the safety and well-being of all members of our school community.
- All school events including the Year 11 Parents’ consultation and Spring Concert on 26 March 2020 are cancelled. No trip or visits will take place for the foreseeable future.
School hygiene and pupil welfare:
- We have reviewed our own hygiene measures in school and have significantly increased the number of hand sanitisers around the building. We are actively encouraging students to wash their hands regularly throughout the school day and in particular when they arrive at school, after using the toilet and before and after eating.
- Please follow PHA guidelines should your child be presenting with any of the symptoms.
- We are making some changes to our communication systems in the event of a school closure. We want to send resources via email. Pupils should have access to their c2k email and any changes to parents’ email should be updated if necessary with the school office as soon as possible.
- Only in the event of a school closure staff will distribute resources and learning materials to all students through Google Classroom. All pupils should ensure they have valid log-ins and passwords. Students in Years 11, 12, 13 and 14 will be supplied with all necessary examination material.
- We are looking at how we can create additional time for students to complete Controlled Assessment and coursework as soon as possible.
- Normal protocols and procedures will be used in the event of a school closure – parents will be informed via text.
Current Timetable for 16th March – 23rd March 2020
- Wednesday 18th March is normal day for all pupils. The Year 11 Parents Consultation has been postponed.
- Pupils are not to come in on Monday 23rd March as this will be a staff training day for School Contingency Planning
Front Door Access at School
- Please do not come to school without prior appointment
- Please contact school via email or telephone as we are experiencing an increased level of communication
It is, of course, my hope that we are able to avoid long-term disruption but I think this is increasingly unlikely given the spread of the virus. The College will act on current government advice in the best interests of the pupils.
J Martin, Principal